The skin under your eyes is the softest and most fragile skin of your whole body. But the dark circles that appear there tend to age your appearance faster than any wrinkles or grey hair.
Here’s how you can minimize the appearance of dark circles under your eyes:
1)First things first…
- Daily exercise. Exercise will improve the circulation of blood throughout the body and the face region, which in turn will reducing circles.
- Get a Good Nights Sleep. It is true, although it’s not entirely clear why inadequate sleep results in dark circles under the eyes. We do know that lack of sleep tends to cause the skin to become paler and increasing the appearance of darkness under the eyes, and also reduces circulation. And be sure to remove all eye makeup before going to bed…if you don’t your eyes can look much more tired on a daily basis.
- Treat Your Allergies. Allergies are a common cause of skin discolouration under the eyes. If an allergy is the root of your problem, treat the allergy or remove the allergen. Seasonal allergy problems such as the hay fever can frequently be effectively treated with over-the-counter and prescription medications. If your dark circles are constant, you may have an unnoticed food allergy or an allergy to a chemical in your home or workplace. If you are not certain talk to a dermatologist who can help you determine what you may be allergic to.
- Eat well. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, take vitamins, and drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables. Take a daily vitamin supplement if necessary. Get adequate fluids to improve circulation.
- Reduce salt intake.Excess salt causes the body to retain water in unusual places, and this can result in puffiness under the eyes. Too much salt can also impair your circulation and cause the blood vessels under the skin to appear bluer.
- Relax. Relaxing might help remove sources of stress and anxiety that are preventing you from sleeping, eating and resting properly. Skin tends to reflect a whole host of emotional and physical ailments.
2) Natural Remedies
- Use cucumber slices. Cucumber slices have long been used to reduce puffiness and refresh the appearance of skin around the eyes, providing a fast “pick-me-up” for tired and puffy eyes. Get a fresh cucumber and cut it into thick slices and keep them in the fridge for half an hour or so. Now put the cucumber slices onto the affected skin area for about ten minutes. Finally wash the area with water. This remedy will have a soothing and refreshing affect on the skin.
- Apply cold tea bags.Tannin in cold tea bags will reduce the swelling and discoloration. Lie down and leave the cool and damp caffeinated tea bags over your eyes for about 10-15 minutes. Keep your eyes closed. You can refrigerate them overnight so they will be ready in the morning.
- Make a saline solution. Now this one is not for the faint of heart but many swear by it. This solution is best used when you’re experiencing nasal congestion. Add 2 cups water with a 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and/or a half tea-spoon of baking soda in one of your nostrils. Have your head tilted to the side so that the water comes out the other nostril.
- Use a potato. Oh the humble potato…potatoes have natural bleaching agents present that can help lighten the dark circles and get rid of puffiness around the eyes, here’s how: Take one or two chilled potatoes and grate them to extract its juice. Now soak a cotton ball in the potato juice and place it on to your closed eyes. Allow the juice to sit for ten to fifteen minutes and finally rinse your eyelids properly with cool water and apply a cream. Instead of potato juice you can also use thick potato slice to remove dark circles.
- Use a frozen spoon. Put a spoon in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Take it out and cover the circles with it. Hold it there until the spoon is warm again.
- Apply rose water.To get quick rid of dark circles you can take advantage of the incredible skin care properties present in rose water. Rose water will have a soothing effect on the eyes and it will also rejuvenate the skin around the eyes.
- Apply almond oil.Almond oil is another natural ingredient which is very beneficial for the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular usage of almond oil will lighten the skin color around the eyes. Take a little almond oil and apply it over the dark circles before going to bed and gently massage it.Leave it overnight and wash it off with cold water the next morning. Alternatively, you can use Vitamin E oil to eliminate dark patches of skin under the eyes.
- Apply lemon juice.The bleaching properties of Vitamin C present in lemon juice can also help to remove dark circles under the eyes. You can apply fresh lemon juice with the help of cotton ball around your eyes and rinse it off after ten minutes.
- Crush some mint leaves. Not just for Mojitos! Mint leaves can give cooling effect and remove dark circles in a very natural manner. Take few fresh mint leaves and crush them gently. Now apply the crushed mint leaves around your eyes and leave it for five to ten minutes. Then gently wipe it off with a clean and cold cloth.
- Make a turmeric paste.Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and hence it can be used to remove dark circles. Take turmeric powder and mix it with pineapple juice to make a thick paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and allow it to stay for about ten minutes before wiping it away with a soft damp cloth. Alternately you can simply purchase tumeric infused skincare products and see if this works for your skin.
3) Cosmetic Solutions
- Apply dark circles eye creams. Use eye creams containing vitamin K and retinol. Dark circles may be caused by a deficiency of vitamin K. Skin creams containing these two ingredients reduce puffiness and discolouration significantly in many people. Long-term daily use seems to have the greatest effect.
- Use a concealer. Use a good concealer that will cover up the dark under-eye circles. It’s important to use a concealer that matches your. And, after applying the concealer, set it with a light dusting of translucent powder
Accept what you can’t change.
Unfortunately there are some causes for under-eye circles that you can’t do much to reverse. These include pigmentation irregularities, sun exposure, thinning from age, heredity, and your own facial features.
The above mentioned remedies are all highly effective in getting rid of unpleasant marks around your eyes and will also prevent it from happening in the future. If the dark circles under your eyes continue, you may want to consider seeing a doctor to make certain that the dark eye circles are not indicators of a more serious problem than not having a good night’s sleep.